Vegan Recipe Corner
Red Robin’s Tofu Scramble
By Robin Helfritch
Ingredients:½ package Lightlife's Gimme Lean Sausage
1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and dried well, mashed with fork
1 medium tomato, diced
3 ounces baby spinach
5 tbsp. tamari
1½ tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. turmeric
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Sauté the Gimme Lean in 1 tbsp. vegetable oil on medium-high heat, chopping it with a spatula to break it up as it cooks, until browned and finely minced. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix together the tamari, nutritional yeast, mustard, minced garlic and turmeric in a small container.
- Pour the tamari mixture over the mashed tofu and mix together well.
- Sauté the tofu in 2 tbsp. vegetable oil over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring regularly with spatula, until most of the excess moisture is evaporated and the tofu is firm and slightly browned.
- Add the Gimme Lean to the tofu and mix well.
- Add the diced tomatoes and mix well.
- Add the baby spinach on top of the tofu mixture, reduce heat to low, and cover pan until spinach is wilted. Remove cover and mix well.
- Serve immediately with (vegan) buttered toast.
- Add sautéed mushrooms, onion, or peppers.
- Add salsa or hot sauce for some pizzazz!
- Sprinkle shredded Follow Your Heart cheddar or other vegan cheese on top of the finished scramble, cover pan with lid, and let melt before serving.